My DIY: Dollar Store Abstract Expressionism


I've long been a fan of wild black and white expressionists like Robert Motherwell and Franz Kline.


This Kline painting was featured on the last page of this month's House Beautiful.


Some Franz Kline knockoffs appeared in Kevin Sharkey's vaunted NYC apartment makeover. The one above the bed is too scary to sleep under, but I liked the set in the living room.


Fake art is not a new DIY concept, but I bet this is the first abstract expressionist ripoff to rely on a tossed-out poster frame and some dollar store products.


This golf poster 'challenged' me to give it a makeover.


Take some dollar store poster board cut to fit a second-hand frame. Grab some black acrylic paint, dollar store or otherwise. Get loose. Paint.


To show I'm not a complete dilettante, note that I rejected my first painting. Not enough negative space.


Allow to dry and frame.


The Picasso is also a DIY, using the time-honored artistic technique known as "tracing."

Get some more DIY art inspiration at What the Vita.